Texas officer killed by repeat drunk driver
Officer Chad Key, a husband and father of 3, was hit by a man charged with drunk driving 3 times before
Duty Death: Chad Christian Key - [Grayson County, Texas]
End of Service: 04/20/2013
By PoliceOne Staff
SHERMAN, Texas — A North Texas officer was killed Saturday night when a repeat drunk driver hit him as he directed traffic.
Grayson County Sheriff's deputy Chad Christian Key, 42, was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital following the accident, according to WFAA.
Ricky Trent Stanley, the driver of the vehicle, allegedly fled the scene of thecrash, but was later arrested. Stanley, 28, has two previous convictions for driving while intoxicated in 2002 and 2004, and was out on $10,000 bond after being arrested again in August, according to authorities.
Stanley is being charged for intoxication manslaughter of an officer, failing to stop and render aid, driving with an invalid license, and unlawfully carrying a weapon, according to the article.
Key had been on patrol for just two months, and was survived by his wife and three sons.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help