LA police hunt for suspect in deadly pile-up after drive-by shooting
Someone opened fire on people in South Los Angeles at a carwash, then sped off, causing a 9 car pileup that killed 1
LOS ANGELES — Los Angeles police are searching for a driver who caused a deadly nine-vehicle pileup while apparently fleeing after a drive-by shooting.
Officer Lyle Knight says it happened shortly before 8 p.m. Tuesday when someone opened fire on people in South Los Angeles where a carwash fundraiser was occurring.
Police say nobody was hit and the silver Pontiac took off. Knight says witnesses or victims began chasing it in a Dodge Charger.
A short time later, the Pontiac hit a Saturn, killing the Saturn's driver, 39-year-old Jose Cuevas, of Downey.
The Charger hit a pickup truck and other vehicles. The Charger's driver and two other people were taken to hospitals in critical condition.
The Pontiac's driver is being sought.
Knight says a handgun was found at the scene.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help