Video: Suspect speeds off, dragging cop behind
The officer jumped back up and continued pursuing the suspects
VERO BEACH, Fla. — An Indian River County Sheriff's deputy is recovering on Monday after investigators said he was dragged along a car during a traffic stop.
Investigators said Deputy Brian Bell pulled over a Nissan Maxima on Sunday morning at 3:30 a.m. for allegedly speeding. The deputy said when he walked up to the window of the car, passenger Andrew Coffee had a marijuana joint in his possession.
When Bell attempted to arrest Coffee, investigators said he began to struggle and that is when the driver, Wesley Clark, began to speed away down the road. Sgt. Raulen said Bell eventually tumbled off the side of the vehicle after being dragged 20 feet.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Wash. sheriff told to disarm before entering arena for charity event
- More than 200 police chiefs criticize Trump’s 'law and order' executive actions
- Video: Nashville cop fatally shoots armed man, NAACP wants probe
- Video: NY trooper arrests suspect after being dragged by vehicle
- Booby trap impales officer investigating marijuana grow operation