Photo: La. man crashed into cruiser while shooting heroin
Police found a fresh syringe and suspected heroin in the man's vehicle, an officer suffered minor injuries from the collision
By Amber Stegall
SLIDELL, La. — A Slidell police lieutenant suffered minor injuries after a man suspected of shooting up heroin while driving crashed into the back of the lieutenant's police vehicle.
The crash happened around 4 p.m. Monday. The officer was monitoring traffic and was parked on the shoulder of Fremaux Avenue when he noticed a 2004 Lincoln LS veer off the roadway and head straight for his police vehicle. The officer saw the man driving look up but was unable to react before he crashed into the Chevy Tahoe.
The driver of the Lincoln was 32-year-old Ronald Caplina. He was driving about 40 miles per hour when he crashed into the officer. The impact pushed the police officer's vehicle several feet, causing minor injuries to both the officer and Caplina, who was not wearing his seatbelt.
(Photo courtesy Slidell police)
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Mich. cop shatters car window after driver refuses to give ID
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend