Off-duty Texas officer killed in car crash
The officer died in a two-vehicle traffic accident while driving to work in an unmarked patrol car
DRIPPING SPRINGS, Texas — An off-duty Central Texas police officer has died in a two-vehicle traffic accident while driving to work in an unmarked patrol car.
Austin police did not immediately identify the officer who was dead at the scene Wednesday morning in Dripping Springs. Investigators are trying to determine what caused the accident during rainy conditions.
The Texas Department of Public Safety says the wreck happened on U.S. 290. Sr. Trooper Harpin Meyer says the police cruiser apparently went out of control and was hit by a pickup truck.
Nobody else was hurt.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Officer Safety
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Milwaukee Sheriff Clarke takes job with Homeland Security
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Grand jury doesn't indict Ohio officer for fatally shooting teen
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight