NC officer killed driving cruiser off bridge
The cruiser appeared to be going at a high rate of speed without lights or sirens when it crashed
Duty Death: Robert Bingaman - [Asheville, North Carolina]
End of Service: 10/29/2013
ASHEVILLE, N.C. — An Asheville police officer died on Tuesday after he crashed his cruiser off the Jeff Bowen Bridge on Tuesday afternoon, according to WLOS.
According to police, Officer Robert Bingaman was in the vehicle when it plunged from the bridge just before 1 p.m.
A witness told WLOS the cruiser appeared to be going at a high rate of speed and was not using its lights or siren when it crashed.
Rescue workers extracted the officer from the vehicle around 1:30 p.m.
Chief William Anderson said, “Our prayers and deepest condolences are with Officer Bingaman and his family.” He said Officer Bingaman was a “great guy who did his job.”
Reprinted with permission from MyFox8
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic