Video: 2 dead after truck goes airborne, explodes in pursuit
Deadly June 23 pursuit ended when the suspect’s car erupted in flames
By PoliceOne Staff
SAN MARCOS, Texas — Police have released dash cam footage of a deadly June 23 pursuit that ended when the suspect’s car erupted in flames.
The San Marcos Mercury reports police began pursuing the pickup truck after attempting a traffic stop on suspicion of intoxicated driving.
39-year-old driver Fabian Hernandez and 43-year-old passenger Charles Lee Crayton were killed after their vehicle hit a block in the center of a roundabout and went airborne – bursting into flames.
Officers attempted to rescue the men, according to Fox 29. Hernandez was pronounced dead at the scene. Crayton was ejected from the vehicle and later died at a local hospital.
It is unclear why Hernandez did not stop. The vehicle reached a speed of 78 mph during the pursuit.
"Please don't run from officers. It's better to be arrested then to have something like this happen to you," said Assistant Police Chief Chase Stapp.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house