Atlanta officer dragged by drunk driving suspect
Suspect dragged a police officer until they crashed into a pole
ATLANTA — Atlanta police say a driver arrested on drunken driving and assault charges dragged a police officer until they crashed into a pole, with the officer suffering a head injury and a broken hand.
Department spokeswoman Kim Jones says two officers were investigating a driver slumped over the steering wheel of a car parked near railroad tracks Tuesday.
Jones says a train sounded its horn and the driver, identified as Anna Ditmer, woke up and tried to drive away.
Police say an officer reached into the woman's car and was dragged along.
Authorities say the officer suffered cuts, injuries to his head, arms and legs and a fractured hand.
Police say Ditmer is also facing other charges. It's unclear if she has a lawyer.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help