Video: DUI suspect strikes cop directing traffic, scuffle ensues
Officer was injured Tuesday after being struck by a vehicle while directing traffic after a multi-car accident
By PoliceOne Staff
SILVER SPRING, Md. — An officer was injured Tuesday after being struck by a vehicle while directing traffic after an accident involving four cars on a highway.
ABC 7 reports that the 58-year-old driver struck the 20-year veteran of the force after cones were removed from one of the blocked lanes.
A confrontation between the officer and the driver began shortly after. The officer attempted to open the driver’s door several times after the driver failed to immediately step out of the vehicle.
The driver at one point fell over after exiting his car.
The officer was escorted off the scene by a firefighter.
He was taken to the hospital and treated for minor injuries, according to the Washington Post.
The suspect is reported to have had a BAC of .22. He has been charged with DUI and failure to reduce speed to avoid a collision.
The officer’s actions during the incident will also be under investigation, according to the report.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform