Ind. officer found shot to death in patrol car
47-year-old Patrolman Jeffrey Westerfield was found early Sunday after a citizen called police and reported an officer bleeding in his car
Duty Death: Jeffrey Westerfield - [Gary, Indiana]
End of Service: 07/06/2014
GARY, Ind. — Authorities say they have a person of interest in custody after a Gary police officer was found shot to death in his patrol car.
Police Chief Wade Ingram Jr. told the Post-Tribune the person was taken into custody hours after Patrolman Jeffrey Westerfield was found dead on his 47th birthday. No charges have been announced and a motive for the shooting wasn't immediately clear.
Cpl. Gabrielle King says the 18-year veteran was working the midnight shift. She says a citizen called police about 5:45 a.m. Sunday to report an officer bleeding in his car.
Westerfield was pronounced dead at the scene.
The last Gary police officer killed in the line of duty was Patrolman Benjamin Wilcher Jr. whose car crashed during an August 2007 pursuit.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman