Photo: Ax smashes through windshield on highway
Massachusetts State Police say the ax bounced out of a landscaper's dump truck
TOPSFIELD, Mass. — It was a scary moment on a highway north of Boston when an ax smashed through the windshield of a car.
Massachusetts State Police say the ax bounced out of a landscaper's dump truck at about 11 a.m. Wednesday on southbound Interstate 95 in Topsfield. They released a photo showing the ax with a corner of its blade stuck in the passenger side of the car's dashboard. The handle was sticking through the windshield.
Police say the car's passenger was "shaken up" but not hurt.
The truck driver, from Peabody, Massachusetts, was cited for failing to secure the ax, which carries a $200 fine.
Police say it could have been worse if the car's driver hadn't been obeying the 65 mph speed limit.
Police aren't identifying the motorists.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic