Photo: Ax smashes through windshield on highway
Massachusetts State Police say the ax bounced out of a landscaper's dump truck
TOPSFIELD, Mass. — It was a scary moment on a highway north of Boston when an ax smashed through the windshield of a car.
Massachusetts State Police say the ax bounced out of a landscaper's dump truck at about 11 a.m. Wednesday on southbound Interstate 95 in Topsfield. They released a photo showing the ax with a corner of its blade stuck in the passenger side of the car's dashboard. The handle was sticking through the windshield.
Police say the car's passenger was "shaken up" but not hurt.
The truck driver, from Peabody, Massachusetts, was cited for failing to secure the ax, which carries a $200 fine.
Police say it could have been worse if the car's driver hadn't been obeying the 65 mph speed limit.
Police aren't identifying the motorists.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court