Off-duty Ill. deputy stood by as shoplifter was killed
Police and eyewitness accounts differ on what exactly the corrections officer did as drug store employee strangled shoplifter to death
By Kim Janssen and Frank Main
Chicago Sun Times
CHICAGO — An off-duty Cook County sheriff's officer was filmed standing just yards away as a CVS employee strangled a shoplifter Saturday, Chicago Police acknowledged Monday.
A day after Chicago Police said they were unaware of the off-duty correctional officer's presence during Anthony Kyser's final moments, Chicago Police spokeswoman Lt. Maureen Biggane said the officer dialed 911 from the scene and identified herself.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman