Slain NJ officer honored where she fell
When Mary Ann Collura was shot and killed in 2003, "it bothered me that it happened on holy ground"
By Joan Verdon
PASSAIC COUNTY, NJ — The Fair Lawn Police Department held its eighth memorial service for slain Officer Mary Ann Collura on Sunday, and for the first time gathered to remember her at the place where she was killed, on the grounds of the Van Riper-Ellis/Broadway Baptist Church on River Road.
When Collura was shot and killed on April 17, 2003, "it bothered me that it happened on holy ground," said Fair Lawn PBA Local 67 President and chaplain David Boone. Now, Boone said, the church grounds, which are marked with a monument to Collura, and a flowering tree planted in her honor "have become a very comforting place for me because it is holy ground."
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Slain NJ officer honored where she fell
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court