Video: Officer fatally shoots homeless man
Hans Kevin Arellano was reportedly combative to officers when back-up – a female 13-year-veteran officer – arrived on the scene
By PoliceOne Staff
SANTA ANA, Calif. — Video taken by a bystander shows a confrontation between a homeless man, convicted of multiple robberies, and police that ends in the shooting of the suspect.
Hans Kevin Arellano was reportedly combative to officers when back-up — a female 13-year-veteran officer — arrived on the scene, according to CBS Los Angeles.
“She exited her patrol car, gun drawn, and asked the gentlemen to get on the ground,” said a witness, who chose not be identified. “The gentleman didn’t get on the ground, he was still inside the restaurant. She asked again. The man then exited the restaurant, and as he was exiting the restaurant, he said, ‘What are you gonna do, b****?’ About a second later, she shot him in the chest.”
At a press conference Wednesday, Santa Ana interim Police Chief Carlos Rojas said Arellano had gotten into altercations with various people in a McDonald’s parking lot, and ran to a nearby juice bar when authorities arrived.
The incident is under investigation.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper