Ill. city's newest officer dies in traffic crash
Officer Heather Wandt, 30, was passing a semi truck when she collided with an oncoming vehicle
By Herald Writers
Morris Daily Herald
COAL CITY, Ill. — A probationary Coal City police officer was killed in a two-vehicle crash Saturday, Aug. 3, on Illinois 47 near Illinois 116, Coal City police announced.
Heather Katherine Wandt, 30, of Oswego, Ill., was pronounced dead at the scene.
Wandt was travelingnorth on Illinois 47, near Saunemin, when she attempted to pass a semi-truck and collided with a southbound pickup, according to the Livingston County Coroner's office.
Coal City Police Chief Tom Best said in a statement he was "profoundly saddened" by the death and asked the community to keep Wandt's family and friends in their thoughts.
"I, along with members of the department, village officials and employees are deeply affected by this loss," Best said.
Wandt was appointed as a police officer for Coal City July 8, 2013, and was attending the Police Training Institute in Champaign.
Copyright 2013 the Morris Daily Herald
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Man blows up hand while attempting to kill 2 Ky. deputies
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- Man who claimed girlfriend choked during oral sex acquitted in murder case
- Police: 'Severely battered' off-duty Del. trooper fatally shoots boyfriend
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert