NY cop attacked with box cutter, suspect killed
Officers were dispatched to an intersection where the man was stopping and screaming at cars
The Daily Freeman
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. — A 27-year-old man was fatally shot by a Poughkeepsie city police officer at 5:38 a.m. Saturday after police said he attacked another officer with a box cutter.
Officers were dispatched to the intersection of Main and Academy streets early Saturday in response to a report of a man causing a disturbance that included stopping cars and yelling and screaming, police said.
According to police, the man attacked a seven-year veteran on the force with a box cutter and the other officer, who has been with the Poughkeepsie force for two years, shot the man. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, and an autopsy was being conducted Saturday.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help